Hanady Alhashmi is an Emirati Female Mountaineer from Abu Dhabi.
Have you recently discovered Backpacking? Or already know everything about backpacking and need a checklist for when you go outdoors next time?
I love Backpacking, as in, going hiking with a backpack and sleeping overnight under the stars.. I have come up with a list I use to cross-check whenever I am packing for a Backpacking Trip. It may seem excessive, you do not necessarily need to take all these items all the time, whatever you don’t need, just don’t take it. Best to keep it light so you can focus on enjoying that hike!
- Food, Snacks: i.e. bars, sandwiches, fruits, dates, bread, boiled eggs, cucumbers, tuna, cheese, nuts, cucumber, carrots, hummus, noodles, oatmeal, etc.. Condiments for your food i.e. salt, pepper, etc
- First aid kit and medications
- Water and Electrolytes
- Backpack with waist strap
- Hydration pack i.e. camelbak
- Tent, mattress and sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner
- Hiking boots with ankle support
- Hiking socks (two pairs)
- Hiking Clothes depending on the weather: long sleeve shirts, shorts or pants, fleece and/or down jacket, hiking pants, rain jacket, underwear, flip flops
- Toiletries (Toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, etc)
- Mosquito Repellant
- A full cap/hat (one that covers your neck), Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Warm hat
- Wet wipes or tissue
- Small trash bag
- Knife, fork spoon, mug, plate/bowl
- Small pocket tool/ whistle
- Matches, lighter
- Micro towel
- Stove, gas,
- Cooking pan, spatula, cooking oil.
Anything you like to take with you that is not in here? Let me know..
Hikes do go wrong sometimes, maybe it has happened to you, or someone you know or to someone you have read about online. Continue reading →
السيرة الذاتية – هنادي الهاشمي
هنادي الهاشمي أول أمرأة إماراتية وصلت بنجاح إلى أعلى قمة جبلية في أمريكا الشمالية، وهو جبل دينالي في ألاسكا في الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية والذي يبلغ ارتفاعه 6,190 متر Continue reading →
Through this ‘Yoga for Hikers’ sequence, we aim to gain flexibility in order prevent injury as much as we can on our muscle and joints, which can also help us improve our efficiency in movement. This also helps us after a long day hike to recover quicker and reduce any muscle tightness and soreness afterwards. I have also added some core stability poses. Continue reading →
Since the beginning of time, women have lived outdoors and have dealt with their menstrual cycles every month. So should not stop any modern woman these days of going outdoors and enjoying their activities.
If you are planning your first expedition in high altitude, then you are probably starting to hear the words altitude sickness. Continue reading →