We talk about how to better plan our trips. But about Food?
I love Food! I love to eat. I like to check out recipes that can be easily prepared at home and cook while outdoors. I always like to check out isles in supermarkets of all the possible food options I can take with me on either a day hike or a longer backpacking trip. I know that my body can burn thousands of calories depending on the difficulty level of the hike, so food planning is most certainly very important.
I have found that one of my biggest mistakes is that I seem to pack too much food, that I end up not eating. I fear I will end up losing too much energy from hiking and not get enough calories. Although, carrying too much makes me use up even more energy because of its heaviness I add to the backpack. Is this what they call a paradox?
Worse yet, is when they don’t seem to pack nicely in the backpack, giving off the right balance of the backpack. It’s like playing tetris.
Wait, I thought of another worse thing actually, packing foods that are just plain heavy! I have done it before, packed cans of tuna, ingredients, etc. Then you get stuck carrying those heavy cans back out of there.. If you really want some tuna, take them out of the can and put them in a ziplock bag.
At the end of a long day of hiking, you are tired, and not necessarily have the energy to start cooking something that would take too long. Another thing, in higher altitude it takes way more time to cook or boil water. Best to always have something that be ready quick.
So what I have learnt till day about food planning?
- Get food that are full of not only calories but the right nutrients that you need to handle the hike.
- I absolutely love Freeze Dried food packages, they come in many flavours and even Vegetarian. I haven’t found them in the UAE yet. Maybe not so much nutrients, but loads of calories and can be packed nicely and all they need is boiling water.
- Plan what you are going to eat every deal. The meals and snacks
- Count how many calories you have packed.
- Get something you will enjoy eating and treat yourself!
- Pack extra
- Variety is important, so is having a good cook in your group!
- Make sure you have a good mix of sugary and savoury foods
- Fill up on carbs and fats to keep you going.
Hope this post will help you in your next day out or expedition. Remember balance is crucial and enjoy your food! If you have any favourites, do share!